Monday, February 27, 2006

The Exercise Dilemma

I really thought it would have gotten better by now... the exhaustion, I mean. My boy is almost 6 months old (oh, how the time flies!), and I'm still pooped. Not that this is really something new for me; I've never really been bursting with energy, but... I guess maybe I was hoping for a miracle!

It's not because he doesn't usually sleep through the night... OK, so that's part of it. It's a lot of things. Sure, I'm not getting enough sleep, but I'm also not getting enough exercise. Thanks to various media campaigns and high-school gym teachers, we're all aware of the benefits of "regular, vigorous exercise" (it's always vigorous. Not fast-paced, not sweat-inducing, just vigorous). It will make me healthier, happier, and (you knew it was coming) more energetic. Yes, this vigorous exercise will fill me with vim and, well, vigor. But here's the problem, folks: I'm too freakin' tired to exercise!!! It's a cruel irony, isn't it? The apparent cure for my problem is made inaccessable by the very problem I'm trying to solve.

Time is a bit of an issue, too. I'd have to exercise when my boy is asleep, partly because my exercise of choice is strip-aerobics... not real appropriate for the diaper set at any time, and I don't think we'll be able to afford the therapy bills later on. So, exercise while he naps... hang on, that's my nap time! I know... if I exercised, maybe I wouldn't need to nap. But I'm too tired to exercise, and I need a nap before... well, you get the idea.

In the spring we'll go for walks. We'll go to the park, or just walk around the neighborhood. It's February, though, and the snow here is St. John's covers the sidewalks to a depth of about four feet. Not exactly conducive to stroller marathons, to say the least!

I'll get there. Some days I can do the physical activity thing, when by some miracle I have no desire to nap- it happens once a week, sometimes twice. Until then... I'm going to have a nap.

No comments: